Tuesday, January 13, 2009

From the Mailbag:

It's been a while since I've answered any mail, so here goes:

Concerning the list of final nominees for "Best Dramatic Movie," an anonymous commenter writes:
"None of these... A River Runs Through It is the best dramatic movie on Hulu."
This message and others like it give me a chance to restate a little-known rule of the Hulu Awards. We are only considering content that was on Hulu during its first full year of existence. So, anything that was added after early October 2008 is not eligible for this year's awards. "A River Runs Through It" will have a chance at the spotlight during the second annual awards (unless it is pulled from Hulu before the list of eligible movies is drawn up, which is entirely possible).

Next, I'll address the spirited response to my review of Fox Reality's new show, "Smile...You're Under Arrest." In my review, which you can read here, I said that the show was basically unfair to the criminals it makes fools of. I got the following response:

What? how is a DUI small? Smoking pot small? theres no doubt that drinking and smoking while driving impairs judgment. Because of that they were arrested and then decided to blow off their court date. That is a clear indication that they dont care. Are we supposed to wait for them to kill someone? Yeah embarrass them. Make sure they never do it again. Toom mean??? Tell that to the parents of a child who was killed by a drunk driver or weed smoker. Hopefully this is th ewake up call.

And another anonymous reader writes:
Boo to you. I am unclear as to how this is mean spirited. If I recall correctly some of these felons were repeat offenders. Some of them were dead beat dads, credit card fraud, stealing cars. Did you even watch the show?
Well, I don't have much to add to my original post, other than to say that I stand by it. I find some of the crimes cited to be absolutely reprehensible, such as a DUI, but some of the crimes to be less reprehensible. In my mind, mixing due process with national public humiliation is nowhere in the penal code, nor should it be. What do the rest of you think?

Finally, another bit of Hulu Award misinformation to clear up:
I Dream of Jeannie??? Why are we considering a show that ran 4 1/2 seasons in the 60's and 1/2 season in the 70's to be a seventies show?
Technically, the "Best Show of the Seventies" category comprises any show that ran, mostly in color, mostly before 1979. I could have made the category title more accurate, but only at the expense of making it sound clunky.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: