Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Happy Huluween!

http://www.hulu.com/the-toxic-avenger

Hot damn, it's Huluween!

If you haven't noticed the enormous banner on Hulu's front page, they've been pimping some "creepy content" for the month of October.

This week, the main new offering is the classic horror comedy "The Toxic Avenger."

What makes it a classic horror comedy? To me, the answer is simple: At the tender age of 11, I personally saw it for a buck fifty at my local independent movie theater, and I thought it was AWESOME. Scenes from this movie stuck with me through the decades. It was funny, disturbing, alluring and thought-provoking. Then, I saw the movie again as an adult and I thought it was HORRIBLE! And it is.

It's campy, and silly, and dumb. Real schlock entertainment. But it will always have a place in my heart. It has a certain kind of B-movie, unabashed charm. If you don't know the plot, it involves nerdy high schooler Melvin getting tricked by the mean kids in school. They wind up accidentally burning him with toxic waste, which gives him enormous strength even as it disfigures him beyond belief. With a mop as his weapon of choice, Melvin becomes a do-good, vengeance-bent hellion.

I hope you take the time to check it out, even if it's just for the giggles.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: